Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The Quintessential Quintuplets: Chapter 86 Review

Chapter 86 of The Quintessential Quintuplets was one of the most intriguing chapters we’ve had in awhile, and that I’d saying a lot since we’ve had some great ones lately.

This chapter is actually still a part of the Sister’s War arc, which seemingly goes on and on. So I was in fact wrong on that when I said it was over, which I’ve done twice now. Oops.

Nonetheless, this chapter was insane the whole way through with a lot of things coming to light that make for an interesting time to come. 

The first major storyline here was that Miku totally messed up get confession. Yeah, remember that confession from two chapters ago? She totally just fell apart and copped out of it. She just continues to have trouble doing much of anything there. 

The next big thing was involving Ichika and was huge for her redemption. First she apologized to Miku, which was very needed. And then she told Fuutarou she lied about everything after kissing him on the cheek and before walking away. 

To me, all of this is a way to bandage the wounds she caused. She knows what she did was wrong and is trying to clean the slate. Whether she continues to pursue Fuutarou remains to be seen, but I have a sinking suspicion it might be deuces for her because the whole thing from this chapter and last feel almost like a “death” montage, which is a way to cut off a plot line. I’m interested in that down the road. 

Remember that camera stalker plot line that seemed to be forgotten about? Well, it was tied up. Turns out, Fuutarou was in on that, having a friend do it for him (he even took a picture of them sleeping himself) to make up an album to give Rena to share with the other quintuplets. Not the best look for Fuutarou, but he has a kind heart, no matter how awkward he is at times. I wouldn’t have advised doing that, especially putting your buddies up to it, but I guess it worked out alright (we think). 

The last thing does involve Rena. It was revealed at the end that Itsuki appeared to be disguising herself as Rena despite revealing that Yotsuba was the real Rena.

I still don’t take anything definitively on the Rena thing because it’s became very complicated with probably no true answers in sight. Any number of possibilities still exist there. 

I really liked this chapter because of the twist of storylines and the smooth transition between them all. Despite a lot going on, it flowed very well and was easy to follow. Not all chapters do that so easily, especially with so much happening (example: Scrambled Eggs arc). The twists and turns were terrific but not overwhelming because they were easy to follow.

As for predictions, I am more confident now to say the Sister’s War arc is over because they left Kyoto. And Fuutarou might have hinted at it by saying “And now comes the calm after the storm.” This likely hints at a lighter exam arc forthcoming. 

But there are still a lot of things to be answered. Now we approach what could be Yotsuba’s long-awaited arc. We’ve been speculating for awhile when this could happen and I had thought Kyoto could have been the place for it but it was more so an arc based mostly around Miku and Ichika. I’m ready for Yotsuba’s arc and she deserves one by now. The whole possible “Yotsuba is Rena” could be a good starting point for it. Whether it will happen is up to Negi, but her arc is overdue and that time could be now. 

I’m also very intrigued by Ichika moving forward. She has patched things up a bit, but her actions going forward will speak volumes. How will she be in a more normal setting again? Will she still pursue Fuutarou? Or will she totally leave school for acting (an option brought up in the past)? All intriguing things to consider going forward. It’s all on the table for Ichika.

I’m also intrigued to see how studying goes now for them. Things aren’t normal as they used to be. This has become very messy. Separating school from romance will be an interesting thing to follow. Can not just the quints stay focused, but Fuutarou as well. I know I couldn’t focus on school with all these things going on. Let’s see how they handle it.





No comments:

Post a Comment