Thursday, February 28, 2019

Predicting the next 5 years of main Pokémon games

There was a new reveal of the next generation of Pokémon yesterday. Within the most recent Pokémon Direct, the new games, set to come out in late 2019 are Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. They are set to take place in a new region known as the Galar Region.

And while I am certainly looking forward to these games, every new reveal like this gets me thinking about what is coming beyond this. Maybe I should not think this way, but it interests me. So instead of talking about my thoughts in these games so far, I am going to instead try to tackle what I think is coming the next 5 years beyond 2019 in the world of Pokémon games. I will look like an idiot trying to predict each game(s) from 2020-2024. 

2020: Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes

First of all, no I do not think Let’s Go! will replace remake games. Remakes are never almost exactly like the original like the Let’s Go games are. Plus, I do not think the Let’s Go games are meant to be the same canonically as the hardcore main series. In that case, I think both will continue on in their own ways.

As for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, they are do to be remade and we haven’t had a remake game since 2014 with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. We are definitely due and generation 4 is next in line. With generation 2 remakes in generation 4 and generation 3 remakes in generation 6, generation 4 remakes in generation 8 fits the pattern they have made. We are almost guaranteed these games within this generation and likely next year.

2021: Pokémon Let’s Go! Johto version

It is my prediction that we will see a Let’s Go! game at the end of each generation as the third game. There is no way they will abandon this series as it did so well in 2018. It also gives them a somewhat lighter project (still a ton of work, don’t get it wrong) to work on so they can devote a bit more to development of future titles beyond it. It gives them an outlet to come out with games more often with less years without a game.

I will be interested as to how they handle this one since this Let’s Go duo of games will probably be based on Crystal, so would that mean we go back to Kanto like in Crystal or do they leave that part out as to not oversaturate Kanto even more. I guess they’ll do whatever they think will sell best. 

2022: Generation 9 main titles

Each generation of Pokémon seems to last 3 years now. So 2022 is looking like generation 9 time. I know it is hard to think of generation 9 with generation 8 just being revealed, but it will be here sooner than we think. While I do not have hardcore predictions of where this region could be, my main ideas are either Australia/New Zealand or the state of California in the United States. 

Generation 9 in 2022 seems like a very safe bet and an easy prediction to make. 

2023: Generation 9 sequels

I know people do not like sequels much, but it gives Game Freak a chance to split work as making a game sequel takes less time than a whole new game. It lets them develop multiple projects at the same time to keep games flowing. 

And like I said, generations 4,6 and 8 have or will get remake games. In the same way, the odd generations like 5,7 and now 9 will get sequel/alternate timeline games within the region the generation introduced. I honestly think that is the trend we will be seeing because it gives them a path to keep pumping out games as much as possible. 

2024: No games

I know this does not fit with the things I said above about them having a formula to pump out games at a good rate, but hear me out. 

Even with a good formula, game developers need some time every so often to slow down a bit and get set up for what is next. With a game every year from 2016-2023, that would be a solid eight straight years of games, an unprecedented and impressive feat for Game Freak with Pokémon games. 

This year without a game would give them a great chance to set up generation 10 in 2025-2027. Plus, it would delay a Let’s Go game in Hoenn until 2027, 13 years after we visited that region last and would delay a Sinnoh Let’s Go game until at least 2030, a solid 10 years after the remake of Diamond and Pearl, but that is looking absurdly far ahead (I hope Pokémon is still a major thing in 11-12 years). It would give them a chance to set things up and spread things out better than if they just kept going and eventually struggling to keep up. 1 year without a game is worth it if it comes with many consecutive years of games like is possible because of that minor sacrifice. 


I am probably going to wind up being very off with this, but this is just my thinking on what could be on the horizon for the Pokémon game series. It is really fun to think of these possibilities and wonder what could be. In any case, the future of Pokémon looks really bright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment