It’s Valentine’s Day. So I’m doing what most people do on this day........... okay not really, but I still have something fun in store. This post is my Valentine’s gift to you. I hope you enjoy it.
For today, I figured it would be a good idea for me to go through my top 5 favorite anime shippings on this day of love.
This list is by no means set in stone as I still have plenty of anime I’m intending to watch, as my volume of anime watched is still relatively low, that will likely open my eyes to shippings I like more a lot more than some of the ones on this list This list will change, but we will re-visit that later. But for now, here are my top 5 anime shippings.
Yu and Tomori- Charlotte
Charlotte, which will get a Roast or Recommend post from me very soon, is a cute little anime that surprises. This anime doesn’t need romance backing to succeed, and this show doesn’t go into it a lot. However, I think Yu and Tomori, the two main protagonists, is a very good shipping. While they don’t officially get together during the show’s time, the idea is still there.
What I love about it is that they start off as being on two ends of the spectrum and don’t seem to like each other much. But they develop a friendship gradually that leads Yu to develop actual feelings for Tomori that he winds up confessing but is shot down unless he completes a task of saving millions of people (ah the things you do for love).
This becomes even more powerful because Yu completes the mission successfully but goes crazy doing so and forgets Tomori almost completely as a result. It isn’t until after this that Tomori seems to have feelings for him too. It is a very tragic story of unrequited love and missing out when you had the chance because you realized your feelings too late. It is very emotional and powerful.
Yuya and Zuzu- Yugioh Arc V
Yugioh is typically seen as a less mature anime than others. However, Yugioh does always introduce some more mature concepts. Though, their romances are typically more childish in nature rather than serious. However, I think Yuya and Zuzu is a great shipping regardless.
These two have been friends since early childhood and grew up together, which is always a cute way to start a love story. And you can tell these two care for each other very much as Yuya goes on a big mission with the intent on saving Zuzu.
Perhaps this is more supposed to be best friend angle, but Zuzu does have her occasion of being jealous when other girls try to get “friendly” with Yuya, if you will, and she blushes at times around him.
Overall, it is a very adorable little ship that could be easily overlooked, but sometimes those are the best ones instead of the more serious ones.
Ikki and Stella- Chivalry of a Failed Knight
I did my Roast or Recommend on this just the other day if you want to check it out.
Shameless plug aside, this is a great shipping. The way it began with Ikki accidentally walking in on Stella mostly naked to where it ended with a common guy like Ikki getting a yes on a marriage proposal from a princess (sorry for the spoiler) was great.
However, as I touched on in the review of this anime, the ship becomes a thing midway through the show, unlike others. This leads to there being ethical issues with it that leads to Ikki doing all he can to prove that they belong together despite harsh interrogation and imprisonment. This makes the ship even stronger, as the payoff at the end with the marriage proposal and the success is massive. It holds up very strongly and you can tell based on all they did to prove their love to each other and to the world.
Kirito and Asuna- Sword Art Online
Kirito and Asuna is an interesting one, but I love it regardless.
The main flack about this ship, and one that’s understandable, is that the best parts of their shipping takes place in a game and they do not display the same level affection in real life. My response to that is that, realistically, a relationship outside of a game vs in a game is different. In a game, things like that would work differently than a real-life relationship. Like they were married in the game after a relatively short time knowing each other. A game like SAO would definitely function that way that doesn’t exist in real-life relationship practices.
However, when they have showed their greatest shipping parts, they were really great. The whole Aincrad arc at the beginning was amazing for their relationship. Additionally, their first kiss scene was one of the most emotional kissing scenes I’ve ever seen because of the circumstances that lead up to it. It wasn’t a regular kiss because they were happy at the time. It was more of a kiss of relief and it conveyed the “what would I have done if I had lost you” kind of thing in a kiss. The whole scene was emotional and had me tearing up for sure.
Also something that helps here is that Kirito went to find Asuna in real life after he went to Alfheim Online to save her. He saved her in real life after finding her. That’s true love right there.
Ash and Serena- Pokemon XY
Anyone that knows me or even just peeks at my twitter account for a few seconds will know I have an undying love for the ship of Ash and Serena.
Pokémon is one of my favorite things in the world and it was refreshing to see an anime series in Pokémon that was a tad bit more mature and dove into the romance concept a bit deeper. It wasn’t that deep as it was still pretty childish overall, but it was still very adorable.
Serena set out on her journey just to find Ash after she recognized him from their childhood. She’s had a crush on him since she was young and was determined to find him and lay those feelings out. That’s very cute and the dedication is amazing.
The thing is that Ash really never felt the same way. Ash has never been much of a guy that knows about crushes and stuff, but watching Serena try while everyone but Ash clearly knew about Serena’s feelings was a great thing to see. It pushed the ship forward and made it a main part of the anime instead of just a sidebar thing.
But the ending to the series is where everyone interested in the shipping of these two got what they wanted. Serena finally did what she had been struggling to do; she confessed to Ash. But not just through words, she instead took the very risky route and decided to kiss him, presumably on the lips as the kiss was not shown (and cheek kisses are normally not censored in Pokémon). It was right then that Ash knew exactly what was going on.
It was a bit saddening that Serena had to leave after that, but I think the ending I’d rather satisfying given Pokémon’s history of not going even that far to have a story of love in their anime.
This ship captured a lot of people’s attention, and it did it right as far as the Pokémon anime is concerned. It left it off in a good spot but at the same time did leave the fans wanting more despite being satisfied. They did a fantastic job the whole way with this one.
As I said, this list is bound to change as I watch more and more anime, but as of now, these are my favorite five. But I also want to hear from you. What are some of your favorite anime ships. My contact information will be below if you want to share that with me. I’d appreciate if you did!
No comments:
Post a Comment