Sunday, April 7, 2019

Spring 2019 anime potential hidden gem: Senryu Girl

The spring anime season is underway. And while the slate of anime doesn’t look as strong as the winter season, there will still be a few that people find more than worth it. There will also be some that wind up surprising people a bit as a hidden gem. 

It is way early as we are only in week one, but I might have already found a hidden gem that not many people are discussing or have discussed. That anime is Senryu Girl.

Senryu Girl is about a freshmen named Nanako Yukishiro and Eiji Busujima as they go through their everyday life. Here is the kicker though, Nanako only communicates in senryu poetry and Eiji is an ex-delinquent who is trying to turn around his life and write in senryu himself. 

This anime is a short form, with every episode being only 12 minutes long. Short forms do not typically get the praise that regular length anime do, but every so often, one gets some major recognition. And while I do not expect this one to (Ao-Chan Can’t Study is going to be so on the edge of acceptable that it may garner more recognition as a short form), I certainly think this one could wind up being a hidden gem.

I think this because of the vibe it gives off. It is categorized as a slice of life/comedy, which is light-hearted enough. But watching the first episode, I can just tell this story is going to just be a relaxing and charming watch. It’ll be a really enjoyable, light anime to follow up on every week. And it taking up only 12 minutes of a person’s time as opposed to 24 minutes will make it easier to watch too. 

This story seems like it will mostly be surface-level stuff, but based on the set up from the first episode, there is certainly potential for it to build upon some deeper aspects that could make it an even better little story. I think it’ll be good either way though. 

I get the main concern people will probably have about this anime. The whole poetry thing might throw people off because poetry is seen as boring or complicated by many. Don’t worry about that, senryu poetry is a simple 5-7-5 syllable structure and they never write anything too profound. It’s only how Nanako communicates. So it’s basic conversational language, but in a 5-7-5 structure. It’s not difficult to grasp. Even the person that knows the least about poetry can easily understand it. 

This anime will not be breaking down doors by any stretch. However, it looks like it will at least be an enjoyable watch from week to week. It looks like it is going to be really charming and adorable overall (watch one episode and you’ll want to return each week just based on how adorable Nanako is alone). I personally will continue to watch it every week as I think it is a good use of 12 minutes with how much I liked it based on my first impressions. And if you have 12 extra minutes each weekend or whatever, I’d suggest checking it out too. 


Look out for this anime as it could become one that gains some unexpected popularity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment